Ooooo....Ahhhh....Me Wants It!

~ Title: Lost Voices
~ Author: Sarah Porter
~ Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 
~ Release Date: July 4, 2011
~ Source: eCopy via NetGalley

Summary via GoodReads:

What happens to the girls nobody sees—the ones who are ignored, mistreated, hidden away? The girls nobody hears when they cry for help?
Fourteen-year-old Luce is one of those lost girls. After her father vanishes in a storm at sea, she is stuck in a grim, gray Alaskan fishing village with her alcoholic uncle. When her uncle crosses an unspeakable line, Luce reaches the depths of despair. Abandoned on the cliffs near her home, she expects to die when she tumbles to the icy, churning waves below. Instead, she undergoes an astonishing transformation and becomes a mermaid.
A tribe of mermaids finds Luce and welcomes her in—all of them, like her, lost girls who surrendered their humanity in the darkest moments of their lives. The mermaids are beautiful, free, and ageless, and Luce is thrilled with her new life until she discovers the catch: they feel an uncontrollable desire to drown seafarers, using their enchanted voices to lure ships into the rocks.
Luce’s own talent at singing captures the attention of the tribe’s queen, the fierce and elegant Catarina, and Luce soon finds herself pressured to join in committing mass murder. Luce’s struggle to retain her inner humanity puts her at odds with her friends; even worse, Catarina seems to regard Luce as a potential rival. But the appearance of a devious new mermaid brings a real threat to Catarina’s leadership and endangers the very existence of the tribe. Can Luce find the courage to challenge the newcomer, even at the risk of becoming rejected and alone once again?
Lost Voices is a captivating and wildly original tale about finding a voice, the healing power of friendship, and the strength it takes to forgive.



My Review: 2/5 Stars    Not a big fan, I guess you can’t win them all!

In Lost Voices, debut author Sarah Porter gives us a twist on the traditional mermaid tale. Okay, I wanted to like this book… I really did. However, I just could not “get into.”  It took me several weeks to read Lost Voices. I tried reading it but kept finding myself simply not wanting to read it. The whole thing was kind of frustrating. I’ve never had to force myself to read a book before (until this one). This book didn’t really do anything for me. Don’t get me wrong, the plot was unique in ways but the execution could have been better. I found it interesting that there are certain events that have to happen in order for a human to turn into a mermaid. And the concept of turning into a mermaid rather than just being born that way was new to me also. The mermaid’s also like to stink ships by singing to them which is like the Siren's in mythology. Luce struggles to understand this concept which she is repulsed by and at the same time is drawn to. There was nothing really happening during the whole book and I just felt board and uninterested.  They just swam around, then drama, stink a ship, more drama, swim, eat (which they did a lot…lol) oh and a tad bit more drama. I don’t know, maybe I was just expecting more from this book. I hate writing a bad review and I’m really trying to think of something good I liked about Lost Voices, I just can’t. Well, I guess the characters weren’t too bad. Please keep in mind that this is just my experience and you may read this book and love it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment